Saturday, July 17, 2010
Action Research
Once when the IT guy and I were working on hooking up the sound system in the cafetorium at school, I asked him why a particular combination of cords worked. We had tried different combinations of things, and finally got things working. When I asked him, he paused but seemed more to ask me why did I care, it worked, right? I was concerned with knowing why so that I could duplicate the process in the future, minus the errors. This query was minor, but proved to be invaluable, empowering me to set up the equipment on my own the next time. Action research means that we perform an investigation or inquiry in our own workplace, the school, for example. Any matter that seems of importance to our own campus, would be appropriate. I have been wondering to what extent the teachers are using a technology-enhanced curriculum. By investigating this authentically, rather than by what the teachers say they do, the administration has a better understanding of what professional development our teachers need, or how well we are doing and what next steps to take. Regarding the sound system inquiry, I eventually created a self-help bullentin, posted at the sound system's site, instead of me getting pulled out of class or called from home when something needed to be set up. I may have asked the initial questions, but many others can now perform that once reserved task.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment